Latinitas

LatinitasMagazine.org - A Strong Voice for Latina Youth

Hey chicas, Are you having a quince or a sweet 16? Which fiesta do you like better? Why?

Views: 2817

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I already had my quince, but a Hispanic having a sweet 16?? It just seems wrong in a way and untraditional...that's just me though. I guess it's more typical in America. Nowadays, it seems like people interchange the 2 terms depending on age. Some girls include a church ceremony, some just have the big ol' party, some have damas and chambelanes, some have the ginormous dress(not just pink or blue anymore!), etc. It's become a pick and choose kind of thing.
Since quinceañeras and sweet 16's usually cost a small fortune, I decided to go to Santo Domingo to a really NICE and luxurious resort with friends and family. I've never regretted not having a party. But it all depends on you. I would say, celebrate both. It's just one more benefit of being Hispanic-American. ;)
Well it depends if you want to celebrate your culture if your hispanic i would say a quince its way prettier that a sweet 16 both your parents will be part of it and your family will be part of it too! :)) good luck on choosing
I had a quince =) best day ever and I did the church thing then the diner then the dance. I liked it =D I think they are both fun but being a latina I think quences are better because they are part of our culture
I had a Quince too and it was fabulous, I wouldnt have changed it for anything! I totally agree with what Cassie said, it makes it so much better because its part of our culture. Like we could prob. have a sweet 16 too but have you ever heard of a white girl having a quince? I DONT THINK SO lol so thats pretty cool!
H

Rosana Lopez said:
I had a Quince too and it was fabulous, I wouldnt have changed it for anything! I totally agree with what Cassie said, it makes it so much better because its part of our culture. Like we could prob. have a sweet 16 too but have you ever heard of a white girl having a quince? I DONT THINK SO lol so thats pretty cool!
I perfer quinces cause if u are hipanic or another kind of person u should do
what ur family agrees with
It. Does not seem wrong because its all ur
Choice  if u r a Hispanic it is okay to a sweet16
The point is that usually u see Hispanics havin
G a quincenera because. That it is traditional  
And that is were ur roots come from

Smez said:
I already had my quince, but a Hispanic having a sweet 16?? It just seems wrong in a way and untraditional...that's just me though. I guess it's more typical in America. Nowadays, it seems like people interchange the 2 terms depending on age. Some girls include a church ceremony, some just have the big ol' party, some have damas and chambelanes, some have the ginormous dress(not just pink or blue anymore!), etc. It's become a pick and choose kind of thing.

I'm planning to do a 18th bday instead because I'm not religious and my parent, not being americans, dont see whats so special about being 16. haha My parents offered me the party, but knowing my family, at the end of the night there would just be a bunch of drunk people, and I wouldn't want that.

I find quinces beautiful but as a former dama I have seen the stress behind planning the one day. At points the party loses its purpose and becomes more of an event to please guests and not the birthday girl.

If I were any normal girl, the answer were probably be either mainly because it's a party. However, I seriously despise parties (especially big ones) so the answer is actually I don't really like either of them. It's my 15th this year and I think I'm just having a girls night with my two besties. Maybe later I'll have my whole group of friends over for a get-together but for now, I'm content with a small night.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

About

Latinitas created this Ning Network.

Links: Connect with Latinitas

Can't get enough of Latinitas.
Read the magazine: LatinitasMagazine.org

Get an RSS feed of our latest updates.
Find us on MySpace.
Connect on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter!
Check our Youtube Channel.
Listen to our Podcast.
View our Flickr gallery.
Sign-up for our Enews.
Visit our blog.

Post questions & get Advice.
Post a blog.

View the Latinitas Video Tutorials to learn how to participate in our community.

Report abuse or problems to the moderator.

Read More From Latinitas

© 2017   Created by Latinitas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service