#1 Q: Can you tell me more about Latinitas and the Latinitas Magazine?
A: Latinitas is dedicated to being a strong voice for young Latinas, telling the stories of our community and serving as a forum for self-expression. Our popular LatinitasMagazine.com is the first digital magazine by and for Latina youth. This national award-winning online magazine is currently recruiting female teens to serve as magazine writers and editors to focus on topics related to being a Latina teen today with a Latina power theme.
#2 Q: What is the Youth Editorial Advisory Board?
A:The Latinitas Youth Editorial Advisory Board is a group of young writers ages 13-25 who assist with writing articles for our magazine, focus on expanding an area of the magazine with their expertise. Applicants also participate in our online social networking community (www.MyLatinitas.com) by blogging and using several of the interactive features on the site. The world needs more LATINA blogueras!
#3 Q: Do I have to live in El Paso, TX or Austin, TX to be eligible to apply?
A: No, you do not have to reside in any Texas location. Everything is done online. Are you a Latina living abroad? Not a problem! This program is not restricted by boundaries and we encourage diversity. Chicas unite!
#4 Q: Who should I apply?
A: Young Latinas who are self-motivated to develop their writing and multimedia skills, while blogging and testing out their journalist skills are invited to apply. This is a perfect opportunity for applicants who dream of a career in media and journalism and want to make a difference while getting published. Applicants do not need to have writing, editing, or blogging experience, but they are required to have basic/general knowledge of grammar and syntax.
#5 Q: What is the application process?
A: Our journalists and blogueras in training for this program are selected through an online process. Fill out the online application, just remember: We look for quality over quantity and syntax (ability to formulate sentences properly), so let your natural talent and charisma shine.
#6 Q: Where can I apply?
A: If you are interested in applying, please fill out the online application:
#7 Q: What are the application requirements?
A: The following are application requirements:
● Be between the ages of 13- 25
● Fill out an online application by the deadline.
● Have an interest in developing writing and multimedia skills
● Want to get published
● Be motivated and want to make a difference
● Basic/general knowledge of grammar and syntax is required.
● Have access to internet and e-mail.
● Most importantly: Want to have fun while building your skills and resume!
#8 Q: What are the job requirements and commitments?
●Make a four month commitment: September 1st – December 31st, for the Fall term and February 1st – May 31st for the Spring term.
●Commit to a minimum of 2- 4 hours per month to blog, write your article, and participate at MyLatinitas.com
●Submit one- two editorial articles. (One for high-school student and two for college students/post-grad).
●Submit one blog post per month on mylatinitas.com.
●Submit a progress report once a month (template will be provided).
●Participate in surveys for the program, magazine, and MyLatinitas community.
●Actively participate in our online community by posting comments, responding to forum questions, etc.
●Participate in monthly YEAB conference chats.
● Be committed, meet deadlines, and interact with other YEAB members. This is an editorial familia and YOUR voice is always heard.
#9 Q: This sounds like an interesting position, is there more that I can do?
A: YES! We LOVE enthusiastic writers, which means more submissions are always welcome. Interested in being more involved? We highly encourage these optional activities:
● Be a YEAB Leader
● Assist with editing the work of peers.
● Create multi-media projects for mylatinitas.com, such as videos, podcasts, photo essays, slideshows, etc. – creativity is limitless!
● Conduct interviews and gather quotes for feature stories.
● Write columns and share advice with other Latinitas.
● Participate in writing contests hosted by Latinitas.
● Provide feedback on story ideas, your input is valuable!
#10 Q: HELP! What if I have questions about the application or being a Youth Member?
A:Send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will gladly help you out!