I can't help but be overwhelmed by the exciting atmosphere in America today. I never thought I would see the day when a minority would become President of the United States of America. Many people feel that this is a triumph for Blacks, but I truly believe that this is a changing point in our entire generation. I am excited, not only our society, but for the societies of generations to come. Often times the word race is tacked onto stereotypical connotations. In past societies, race was the only determining factor in treatment and status in the social hierarchy. As America progresses and race is slowly erased, imagine what it would be like:
1. Next time you are asked to fill out a government document, you wouldn’t have to bubble in White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, Non-White or Other.
2. Next time you go out in public, you won’t be referred to as the White, Black or Latina Girl.
3. Next time you hear a debate on the news the “race card” would be non- existent.
4. People who refer to themselves as being “color blind” would be able to see a wealth of individuals
5. The side of town you live on would not be associated with the color of your skin.
6. Our children would not know what racism was
7. People would celebrate Black and Hispanic history month in honor of heritage, regardless of skin color.
8. Religion and Race would finally be untangled.
9. Our children would not live in fear of being “at the wrong place at the wrong time”
10. People would not mix up race with culture.
Just imagine, the rest is up to you...