Stress, stress and more stress.
That's my life at the moment. I feel that this semester has been the most stressful semester I have had at my time here at the University of Texas at Austin. With all my classes, my extracurriculars, my internship/job and the applications I am working on, I feel that I am losing control of my life.
See, I love stress. I just don't want it in huge amounts. I'm currently taking 13 hours (5 classes) that consist of my journalism class, my Media Law class, Mexican-American Religion and Spirituality, a Sociology class dealing with society and a Mentor Training class. Then, there's the extracurriculars. I am a member of Communication Council and have a seat in the Outreach Committee. I am the technological chair for the University of Texas Hispanic Journalists. I am part of the TV crew for Local Live, a show on Texas Student Television and I sometimes volunteer with Sneak Peak, another TV show on Texas Student Television. I am a freelance news writer for the Horn, an online news outlet. I am a member of the Latinitas YEAB and I have an internship at a non-profit. I also have three scholarship applications due next week and my application to UTLA, a program that allows me to move to Los Angeles for a semester as an extension to UT.
I obviously have a good deal of stress, yet I know how to control my stress levels. Knowing that many of you probably feel stress, I thought I would give you some tips on dealing with stress.
- Work Out. When I am feeling super stressed out, I like to work out. If you take 30 minutes out of your day for three days, you will notice that you are not as stressed. A great way to use those 30 minutes is to do zumba. Zumba is very fun, family friendly and has great tracks that will get you stress-free in no time.
- Naps Naps Naps. I LOVE naps. Naps can help you get the much-needed sleep you might be needing. But, do not take naps that are longer than 30 minutes. With 30 minut naps, you will be feeling nice and refreshed.
- Share Yo' Feelings. Do not be afraid to talk to someone about how you are feeling. They can help you relax and can probably help you talk things out. Even if that person cannot help you out, just talking about how you feel will reduce stress.
- Be Positive. Realize that you can do anything you set your mind too. If you are stressing out over a project that you have been working hard for two weeks, remember that you have a great chance in getting an A. Remember why you are stress and use that to help you overcome it.
- Learn to Say No. Just because someone asks you to do something doesn't mean you have to do it. Even though I have a whole course of stuff to do, doesn't mean that I participate and do everything. Sometimes I skip meetings to do homework and sometimes I say no to stories that I have to write. Realize that you can say no to some things.
- Manage Yo' Time. A lot of stress is caused by leaving everything to the last minute. That's why you should not procrastinate. Get a planner and add all the stuff that's due. Then plan out what you want to work on a few days or weeks in advanced. Then, you do not have to do everything at the last minute and will not be stressed out.
Latinitas, do not let stress run your lives. These are the tips I follow to unwind and you can follow them too!