Two weeks ago the girls at the Esperanza Acosta Moreno club answered a few questions about being Latina. Here are some responses to the questions:
1. Why are you proud to be Latinita?
"I am proud to be Latinita because of the food." -Alba
"I am glad to be a Latinita because I can speak Spanish. Speaking Spanish is fun!" -Elena
2. Why do you think Latinas make strong leaders?
"Ladies are smart." -Holli
"They share ideas with others." -Marina
3. What is your favorite Hispanic tradition? Why?
"Getting together to eat tamales." -Katelynn
"My favorite tradition is Christmas." -Alba
4. Who is a Latina role model you look up to? Why?
"My mom." -Holli
"Elena because she sets good goals" -Marina
5. What would you like others to know about Latino Culture?
"The food" -Draven
"I want others to know how to speak Spanish." -Elena
6. What are your future hopes for the Latin community?
"That we will be more respected." -Draven
"That Hispanics won't be bullied." -Katelynn
7. What is your top piece of advice for younger Latinas?
"Everyone can enjoy Latina culture." -Marina
"To never let go of their dreams." -Alba
"To be nice to each other." -Holli
"Don't let anybody push you around." -Katelynn
"Keep believing." -Draven
"To teach them Spanish." -Elena